Saturday, June 8, 2013

Food Review: Canton Paradise


I'm sure you have heard of Paradise Dynasty that is located at ION Orchard. Recently, the Paradise Group has open a new outlet call Canton Paradise and it is located @ AMK HUB. -which is the area where i live! They have a few more outlets located at different areas as well. E.g. Jcube, Katong, Compass Point.

Being a cantonese, i definitely have to try it out! My favourite cantonese cuisine restaurant has always been Imperial Treasure because they cook the most delicious Steamed Custard Bun. 

Ok.. So off i went to Canton Paradise and below are the dishes that i ordered: 

Ratings below with my 20 years of experience being a Cantonese. 

1. Steamed Custard Bun ($5.20)
Canton Paradise 

I love it when the yolk is melted inside the bun and it flows out smoothly when u open it. This is actually considered a dessert because you get full very easily after eating it. But anyway, I've made a comparison with my favourite restaurant.
Imperial Treasure (ION Orchard)
I think this bun looks so much better!!! Isn't it? If you look closely to the texture and the color of the yolk...

I rate this: 3.5/5 
At least the yolk still melts quite nicely, unlike some restaurant whereby they are TOTALLY OVERCOOKED.

2. Seafood and Tofu Soup ($7.80)
 This... I have nothing much to say. To be honest, I feel like i'm drinking water that is mixed with starch. Tiny bits of prawn inside. It tastes quite bland. Just look at the picture! You can cook this at home if you know how to cook Chinese cuisine la. haha. 

Rating: 2/5

3. Prawn in Beancurd Skin Fritters ($5.20)
 I thought this is a fairly nice dish. Except that it is too oily for me. Well, it depends on your preference but the taste is there. Eat it while its still hot! 

Rating: 3/5 

4. Pan-Fried Radish Cake ($3.90) 
 Comparing this with my grandma's radish cake, my grandma scores 80/100 and this scores 90/100. Which means my grandma just need to put in a little bit more of effort to make the almost same kind of radish cake in Canton Paradise! But overall it tastes like the normal pan-fried radish cake that i eat in Cantonese Resturant. 

I'm rating this a 3/5 

Also, I was quite disappointed that they don't serve the kind of chilli that it is supposed to have! I mean i don't know if this is true but normally you don't get this chilli when you eat Dim Sum in Hong Kong. I don't know what is the name of it but if you have dined at Imperial Treasure before, you will know what i am talking about. 

The chilli in Canton Paradise is definitely not the chilli that i was looking for!!! Urgh! 

 5. Steamed Cheong-fun with Fresh Prawn Filling ($4.50)
 This is another dish that I will order when i have Dim Sum. Usually i will choose it with prawn but this time round, i thought it would be nice to have a change - so i ordered with BBQ Pork. 
And this is one of the most disappointing dishes cause it tastes so bland!!! If its bland to me, a person who likes flavorful food will find this even more disappointing. haha. The cheong-fun tastes like 'water'. Seriously i am not even joking it is one of the more disappointing dim sum i had in 20 years of my life. 

Rating: (You guessed it) 1/5 . The 1 mark is credited to the soya sauce they had. 

6. Siew Mai ($5.60)
Who doesn't order Siew Mai when they have Dim Sum? Tell me that you do please cause its the standard dish that people will have when they eat Dim Sum.

After the cheong-fun was served, i lost faith with the rest of the dishes because I thought they will be equally disappointing. But when the Siew Mai came, it didn't feel that bad because it tasted not bad. Though not the most awesome Siew Mai I had, but it is still fine. 

Rating: 3/5 

7. Steamed Chicken Claw with Black Bean ($3.90)
I always order this when i have Dim Sum because it is my favourite! haha. This dish is not disappointing. Yay! Finally!

Rating: 3.5/5 

8. Steamed Spare Ribs with Black Bean ($4.50)
 In Chinese, this is 'Pai-gu' and you don't find many cantonese restaurants serving nice 'pai-gu'. Some will look too bloody (meaning the meat is pink but cooked) and some have too much fats. 

And this? It tasted bland! What? Another bland dish? I don't know whether to laugh or cry when i ate it. lol. 

The 'pai-gu' tasted almost like the chef dip it inside hot water before serving. It looks nice but definitely not flavourful. I guess they didn't marinate it well enough.

Rating: 2/5

 9. Har Gao ($5.60)
Yeah... Why are you so small Har Gao? hahaha. The texture of the skin is actually quite important. The crystal clear & smooth skin is not easy to achieve. 

Rating: 3/5 

As you can see, the highest score was only 3.5/5. My mother use to tell me that I am very picky with food. Its not very true though... I just don't want to feel disappointed with the food i eat. Heh, im not a person who likes to give high ratings when it comes to food! 

But anyway I didn't try their noodles and porridge. It might be a different story. 

Interested in trying out this place? 

AMK HUB 
#B2-01/02 
Mon-Fri 11am - 10pm 
Sat, Sun & PH 10.30am - 10pm 
Tel: 6484 3206

P/S: I seriously need a good camera ASAP. Any recommendation?
And yes i'm still promoting Dream! I've been with Elevate since 2012. If you need guestlists to Dream tonight, don't feel shy and just text me!
xx

1 comment:

  1. Good sharing about Canton Paradise, please feel free visit back my blog about Canton Paradise too. The url is:
    http://kidbuxblog.com/canton-paradise/

    ReplyDelete